tips for making medody
- Use other scales and make melody in that mode.
Use other meters (5/4, 7/4 -> 4와3으로 주로 나뉨)
Use BRIDGE (loop에서 refreshing을 위해) 3 section
Singing the words
- “Speech has a natural rhythm”
- Rhythm is possibly more important than pitch (IN MELODY !!)
- Keys – know them and play with them
- Each key has different energy, instrumentation, and historical use
CM : Pure, Innocence, Simplicity, Naivety
DM : Triumph, Marches, Heaven Rejoicing
Abm : Heart Squeezed until it chokes..;; Wailing Lament
Fm : Funereal, Groans of Misery
BM : Strongly Colored, Announcing Wild Passions
- Range UP and Down
- Limit yourself to a certain range or intervals
ex) only using whole step (for the melody) / or only using minor 3rds (for the melody)
- Chords, Rhythm, Melody. which one first?
TRY using rhythm first!!
- ‘Free writes’ Quick sketches -> Bulk
keep them for the future.
- Listen to Everything..(others’ works)
- Dreaming melodies and keeping Journals(keep by bed) -> RECORD IT(or write down)
- Playing music quietly(1 volume setting) and hearing the blanks
- Capitalize on Stickiness/Motives (Wait a day after a writing, and see if you can hum it)
- TRY new instruments and new samples.
- CHANGE Tempo : fast, slow, DRAW tempo track all over the place
can really change the mood
- Retrograde (backward playing) -> weird melody
setting on your DAW
- Inversions – fun house, mirror images
- Swung / Not Swung (셔플)
- Write somewhere different than usual,
(Bar, Car, Cafe, Bathroom) Walk around.
- Counterpoint 대위법 : STUDY and know the rules. (all suspensions and stuff..)
- Know scales steps and where they long to go, And then, be unpredictable
: Tension and release in the melody
- Method change (Keys, Guitar, Mic, Mouse)
- Using SFX (real sounds) or instrumentalization of FX
- Seriallism / 12 tone rows :현대음악의 시도들을 가져와보기